Brentham, Ealing

One of London’s hidden resid­ential gems, Brentham garden suburb was laid out in north Ealing during the early years of the last century

Brentham - wide view

The Brentham estate backs onto Pitshanger Park, beside the River Brent – from which it takes its name. The earliest roads, those with the Woodfield name, were a co-​​operative creation but their archi­tecture was not so different from specu­latively built terraces that were going up elsewhere around this time.

The tenants’ association bought more land in 1905 and 1907 and its leader, Henry Vivian, pushed through more innovative principles of street layout and house design. Architects Parker and Unwin were brought in to create Britain’s first ‘co-​​partnership garden suburb’, intended to provide cottage homes for working people who invested their savings in the scheme and received dividends for keeping their property in good repair. The Arts and Crafts archi­tecture exhibits a delightful variety of stylistic detail while retaining a thematic harmony.

The community’s focal point is the Brentham Club on Meadvale Road, which organises a wide range of activities. Unlike many such centres – at least those of such quality – it is not a conversion of some pre-​​existing gentleman’s home but was built for the purpose, in 1911.

From May 1911 the Great Western Railway’s suburban service out of Westbourne Park began stopping at a station named Brentham, which was located some distance from the suburb itself, just to the west of what is now the Hanger Lane gyratory system. Trains were never frequent and in June 1947 the mainline service and Brentham station were superseded by the Central line and Hanger Lane respectively.

In 1969 Brentham garden suburb was designated a conser­vation area – but its identity is no longer widely recognised beyond the immediate neigh­bourhood: it is often considered part of what estate agents call Pitshanger Village.

Postal district W5
Further reading Aileen Reid, Brentham: A History of the Pioneer Garden Suburb, 1901–2001, Brentham Heritage Society, 2001
Website: The Brentham Society

 

Please click any of the buttons below to share this page on social media or via emailfacebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail