Hill End, Hillingdon
A hamlet and its outlying farms, situated north of Harefield, beyond the hospital
Although Hill End stands on relatively high ground, the name may derive from a former landowner rather than a topographical feature. However, if the name does refer to the latter, then the particular hill in question was probably One Tree Hill, which is located west of the hamlet, near the Canal Way development at the top of Summerhouse Lane.
There was a group of houses in what is now Hill End by 1754 and in the latter half of the 19th century a number of cheap cottages were built for workers who were toiling in the nearby chalk quarries and brickworks. The hamlet made its first appearance on an Ordance Survey map in 1880, as Hillend.
Most of the present housing was built after the Second World War and is clustered across the road from an unexciting village green and a basically equipped playground. The hamlet is too quiet to have sustained its pub, so the Plough has been converted to a children’s nursery.
Farther up Springwell Lane, the narrowboats strung along the canal draw the eye from the ramshackle workshops and the disused landfill facility at the old quarry.
Postcode area: Uxbridge UB9