King Street, Hammersmith & Fulham
The principal shopping street of Hammersmith, running from Hammersmith Broadway west to Stamford Brook, where it meets Chiswick High Road and Goldhawk Road
This was a turnpike road from 1717 and during the course of the 18th century it acquired houses, inns, stables and Cromwell’s Brewery. Before it was covered over, Stamford Brook used to open out into a creek near the brewery. King Street gained its present name around 1794.
Rivercourt Methodist church was built on the corner Rivercourt Road and King Street in 1874–5. The church’s 125-foot tall spire is visible in the photograph above,* which shows the view looking eastward down King Street from the Premier Inn.
Shops began to line the street towards the end of the 19th century. King Street was widened in the 1930s, when Hammersmith Town Hall was built and many of the original shops were demolished. The construction of the A4 two decades later relieved the street of its role as part of the Great West Road.
Nowadays, the big-name stores are clustered towards the eastern end, including those within the Ashcroft Square and Kings Mall precincts.
The Lyric theatre is a focal arts venue for west London. A gilt and velvet auditorium has been rebuilt inside this 1970s concrete structure. Lyric Square host a farmers’ market on Thursdays. It’s particularly noted for its freshly prepared takeaway food.
The Latymer Arts Centre, at 237 King Street, is a private facility for Latymer Upper School with a four-storey atrium serving as a theatre foyer and art gallery.
Shown in the photograph above on the right,* the azure and aubergine tiling of the Salutation Inn (1910) constitutes one of the street’s few architectural highlights.
The western part of King Street has a strong Polish presence, with retailers, services and the Polski Ośrodek Społeczno Kulturalny w Londynie, a social and cultural centre that incorporates a theatre and a restaurant.
Postal district: W6