The northern part of central Hounslow, lying immediately south of the Great West Road
The existence of Lampton – a ‘farm or estate where lambs are reared’ – was first documented in 1376. From the early 18th century the village was the property of the Bulstrodes, lords of the manor of Hounslow. There was a Black Horse Inn in Lampton as early as 1759.
Built in the 1810s, Lampton’s oldest and finest house is The Lawn, which stands at right angles to Lampton Road opposite its junction with Avonwick Road – and is shown in the photograph below right.* Its most distinctive features are the Doric porch and the fringed cast-iron hoods above all the front windows. Around to the side, The Lawn’s original cast-iron gate has survived and – like the house itself – is grade II listed.
Until late in the 19th century Lampton remained a “small village or hamlet in Heston parish … [with] few inhabitants, principally depending on agriculture and brickmaking.” The Bulstrode family devised an ambitious plan to develop the land on either side of Lampton Road in 1881 but economic conditions became unfavourable, only a few grand houses were built – and most of them have since been replaced. One surviving mansion is now the borough register office.
The District Railway (now the Piccadilly line here) arrived in the mid-1880s. Montague Road, Queen’s Road and Balfour Road were laid out with terraced housing around the turn of the 20th century and the village began to merge into Hounslow. The Black Horse was rebuilt in 1926.
Opened in 1930, the 40-acre Lampton Park is situated to the west of the locality, beside the low-rise pavilions of Hounslow civic centre (completed in 1975) and the highly regarded Lampton school. Lampton Park conference centre opened in 2005.