Monument, City of London
A Portland stone column erected at the junction of Monument Street and Fish Street Hill, just north of London Bridge
Built in 1677 by Sir Christopher Wren, the Monument commemorates the Great Fire that had destroyed most of the City of London in 1666. It stands 202 feet high – its precise distance from the fire’s source, a bakery in Pudding Lane – and is topped by a gilded flame.
The pedestal originally carried an inscription blaming Roman Catholics for the fire. Referring to this, the poet Alexander Pope wrote, ‘Where London’s column pointing at the skies, / Like a tall bully, lifts its head and lies’. In 1831 the Corporation of London erased the offending words.
Over 100,000 visitors a year climb the 311-step spiral staircase to the Monument’s observation platform, now enclosed to prevent the suicides for which it was once notorious. The column was floodlit in 1994 and is regularly restored.
Monument station opened in October 1884, on a section of track that completed what became the Circle line. It was called Eastcheap for the first month of its existence.
Postal district: EC3
Station: Circle and District lines (zone 1), with an escalator link to Bank station
Further reading: Adrian Tinniswood, By Permission of Heaven: The Story of the Great Fire of London, Pimlico, 2004
See also: Golden Boy of Pye Corner
Click here to see Bing Maps’ bird’s eye view.