Chapel End, Brent
A little-used name for the (now) central part of Willesden, distinguishing it from Church End to the west
Chapel End’s name derived from the Willesden Green Independent (Congregational) Chapel, built in 1820 at the junction of the High Road (A407) and Dudden Hill Lane.
The locality has also been called Queenstown, to mark a visit by Queen Victoria in 1837.
In the mid-19th century this was a settlement of agricultural labourers but it evolved into a middle-class suburb from the 1870s, after the coming of the railway and the sale of farmland to developers.
A larger chapel was built just to the west to serve the growing population and the original building was used as a Sunday school until its demolition in 1908.
Postal district: NW10