The geography of London football
The top 20 London clubs in 2020–21
The ninth edition of Hidden London’s football map shows the ground locations for all the London clubs in the top six tiers of the English game for the 2020–21 season. The weight of the type and the density of the yellow circles indicate hierarchical status, from the Premier League clubs to those in the National League South (formerly Conference South). The map also shows the location of Wembley Stadium – the home of cup finals and England games.
The map reflects the following changes from the 2019–20 season:
- Having beaten Brentford in the play-off final, Fulham have returned to the Premier League after spending a single season in the Championship (after spending a single season in the Premier League the year before).
- Charlton Athletic have been relegated to League One after spending a single season in the Championship this time round.
- Following the curtailment of the National League South season owing to the covid-19 pandemic, Wealdstone were declared champions on the basis of points won per game and have been promoted to the National League.
- AFC Wimbledon played the early games of the 2020–21 season at QPR’s Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium and then moved into their new home on Plough Lane on 3rd October. The inaugural match was a nail-biting 2–2 draw with Doncaster Rovers. The map above shows Plough Lane’s location.
- After playing at Griffin Park for 116 years, Brentford have moved one kilometre east (and 300 metres north) to the newly completed Brentford Community Stadium.
These are the 20 London clubs mapped above, listed alphabetically within each division:
|Premier League||Arsenal||Emirates Stadium|
|Premier League||Fulham||Craven Cottage|
|Premier League||Chelsea||Stamford Bridge|
|Premier League||Crystal Palace||Selhurst Park|
|Premier League||Tottenham Hotspur||Tottenham Hotspur Stadium|
|Premier League||West Ham United||London Stadium|
|Championship||Brentford||Brentford Community Stadium|
|Championship||Queens Park Rangers||Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium, Loftus Road|
|League One||Charlton Athletic||The Valley|
|League One||AFC Wimbledon||Plough Lane|
|League Two||Leyton Orient||Breyer Group Stadium, Brisbane Road|
|National League||Barnet||The Hive|
|National League||Bromley||Hayes Lane|
|National League||Dagenham & Redbridge||Chigwell Construction Stadium, Victoria Road|
|National League||Sutton United||Knights Community Stadium, Gander Green Lane|
|National League||Wealdstone||Grosvenor Vale|
|National League South||Dulwich Hamlet||Champion Hill|
|National League South||Hampton & Richmond Borough||Beveree Stadium|
|National League South||Welling United||Park View Road|
After playing in the Premier League for five consecutive seasons, Watford FC were relegated to the Championship in 2020. Watford are based at the Vicarage Road stadium, which is located two and a half miles (4km) beyond the north-west edge of Greater London.