Old Operating Theatre
The Old Operating Theatre and Herb Garret is a small museum located in the roof space of the former St Thomas’ church, Southwark.
When the church was rebuilt in 1703 it had an unusually large garret in the roof space, which was used by the apothecary at neighbouring St Thomas’ Hospital to store and cure herbs.
In 1822 the garret was converted into an operating theatre, surrounded by seating in which apprentice apothecaries and medical students could observe surgical procedures.
The garret continued to serve this purpose until the the hospital closed in 1862, prior to its relocation to Lambeth, after which the entrance to the garret was sealed. The old operating theatre was ‘rediscovered’ in 1956 and restored and opened as a museum in 1962.