Staple Inn is the most intact survivor of the Inns of Chancery, situated immediately south of Chancery Lane underground station. First recorded in the 13th century as ‘le Stapled Halle’, the name probably signified a covered hall built with pillars (from Old English stapel, ‘column’ or ‘tree trunk’). Originally a wool market, it became c.1415 the home of the Society of Staple Inn, an association of lawyers and legal students. In 1580 the society built a new and magnificent hall, followed in 1586 by buildings facing High Holborn. The latter remain almost unaltered but the hall was hit by a flying bomb in 1944. It was afterwards rebuilt to the original plan, retaining materials that had been salvaged from the wreckage or, like the stained-glass windows, had been earlier placed in storage. Since 1887 Staple Inn has been the headquarters of the Institute of Actuaries.