The Lloyd’s building
Lloyd’s of London is an international insurance market in the City of London and the world centre of shipping intelligence. It began in the 17th-century coffee house of Edward Lloyd in Lombard Street. It was originally a market for marine insurance only but now deals with nearly all forms of insurance. Lloyd’s was incorporated by Act of Parliament in 1871. Insurance is accepted by individual underwriters, not by Lloyd’s of London, which provides the premises, intelligence and other facilities. Lloyd’s agents throughout the world send shipping information, which is published in Lloyd’s List and Lloyd’s Shipping Index.
One Lime Street, colloquially known as the Lloyd’s building, has been the headquarters of Lloyd’s of London since 1986. Designed by the Richard Rogers Partnership, its distinctive characteristic is the externalisation of structural details and utilities such as ducts and glass lifts. Combined with stainless steel cladding, and especially when illuminated at night, the effect at the time of its construction was ultra-modern.