Ballards Lane, Barnet
A busy road linking Finchley Central with North Finchley
This was an important medieval thoroughfare, named after a family who were living here in 1263. It was originally called Overstreet, contrasting it with Nether Street, which ran in parallel to the west. The estate of Ballards Reding, later Wimbush Farm, stretched across to Fallow Corner.
By the 15th century large houses set in spacious grounds were appearing along the lane. Many of these properties were rebuilt in the 17th century.
With the construction of Regent’s Park Road the lane became a turnpike in 1826 and was extended to a new junction with the Great North Road, bringing an increase in development. By 1851 the lane had 56 houses and seven under construction, which was positively heaving for such a rural outpost of London at this time, and made it the most populous part of Finchley.
Most of Ballards Lane was rebuilt again from the early years of the 20th century onwards, much of it with parades of shops and flats.
The surrounding area has become popular with London’s Japanese community and Ballards Lane has several suppliers of goods and services targeted at this market.