Notting Dale, Kensington & Chelsea
A notoriously deprived enclave situated to the west of the much better-known and better-off district of Notting Hill
In the mid-19th century this was a brickmaking area and Kensington Potteries was the largest employer. Gypsies lived here seasonally.
From the 1860s Notting Dale was built up with cheap housing and the new residents scraped a living by taking in laundry or keeping pigs.
Having started badly, conditions got worse. In 1893 the Daily News reckoned Notting Dale was the most “hopelessly degraded” place in London. The social reformer and statistician Charles Booth charted terrible hardship just a few hundred yards west of the wealth that radiated outwards from Lansdowne Crescent.
Some of London’s first housing associations began their work here and Octavia Hill took over the management of five run-down houses in St Katherine’s Road. Do-gooders from Kensington established churches, missions and Sunday schools but the underlying malaise persisted for decades.
Notting Dale’s first Spanish immigrants were refugees from their country’s civil war in the 1930s, while Caribbeans came soon after the Empire Windrush docked in 1948.
Council flats replaced many of the slums from the 1950s onwards, notably in the form of Henry Dickens Court in 1953 and high-density Lancaster West estate in the late 1960s and early 1970s.
Many Victorian properties here have been beautifully restored, so that parts of Notting Dale now present an upmarket aspect. But most local residents don’t own houses like these: they rent flats in municipally built blocks that are nowadays managed by a tenant management organisation or housing association – including Octavia Housing.
The footballer Les Ferdinand grew up on the Lancaster West estate.
Postal district: W11 and W10
Further reading: Shaaron Whetlor, The Story of Notting Dale: From Potteries and Piggeries to Present Times, Kensington and Chelsea Community History Group, 1998
See also: Latimer Road, for more on the western side of Notting Dale