A fast-growing and relatively affordable Thames Gateway district situated east of Belvedere and across the river from Rainham Marshes
A forest established itself here after the last ice age, stretching across what became the Thames to Hornchurch. The name Earhyth, which means ‘muddy landing place’, was first recorded in the seventh century when lands here were granted to the bishop of the East Saxons.
Henry VIII established a naval storehouse at the end of West Street in 1512. The town (all too briefly) flourished as a summer resort in the mid-19th century after the opening of a steamboat pier, a hotel and the station. Riverside gardens were laid out, with a maze and arboretum. At the same time, the docks brought industrial growth, which accelerated over the second half of the century, when Erith’s population increased tenfold.
The town filled with terraced housing for workers, while lords of the manor the Wheatley family progressively developed a high-class suburb in the Lesney Park area. The Wheatleys built a new manor house in Northumberland Heath and created Avenue Road as a direct route to the town. To the north-west, British Oil and Cake Mills built innovative concrete silos on Church Manor Way in 1916.
In the first half of 20th century the manufacture of armaments and cables were the dominant industries. Callender’s laid a pipeline across the bed of the English Channel, which was used to supply fuel for the D‑Day landings.
As a consequence of its military significance, Erith was the target of heavy bombing during the Second World War and was radically redeveloped afterwards. A concrete pier was built in 1957 and the Pier Hotel was demolished to make way for warehouses.
More historic buildings were lost in the 1960s but a few remain, notably the White Hart (currently an African and continental restaurant), St John’s church and the Carnegie Building (former Erith library).
In 1999 a Morrisons supermarket was built on the site of the old deep wharf, retaining the pier and reviving a disused industrial part of the riverside. In 2004 funding was secured for a regeneration scheme that included a public art project.
The decline of industry has freed up large areas for residential development. Flats, townhouses and maisonettes have sprung up all over the town in recent years.
Mainly because of its remoteness, Erith has had some of the lowest property prices in the London area, both for houses and flats. Research published by the Londonist in 2013 – based on Zoopla data – found London’s cheapest bricks-and-mortar home at that time was a ground floor studio flat in Erith, for which “offers in excess of £60,000” were being sought. Of course things have changed a lot since then and absolutely nowhere in London is cheap anymore – but Erith is still considerably less expensive than most parts.
However, Erith’s low-lying situation beyond the Thames flood barrier may make it increasingly prone to flooding if global warming causes the expected rise in sea levels.
Alexander Selkirk, the real-life inspiration for Robinson Crusoe, arrived back at Erith in 1711 after being rescued from his desert island. He is remembered (or at least Daniel Defoe’s portrayal is remembered) in the names of Friday Road and Crusoe Road.
Former Conservative prime minister Margaret Thatcher met her husband Denis while campaigning in Erith in 1950. He was chairman of the Atlas Preservative Company, the family paint and chemical business, and he commuted to Erith each day from his flat in Flood Street, Chelsea.
Postcode area: Erith DA18
Population: 12,053 (2011 census, representing 23 per cent growth on the 2001 figure)
Station: Southeastern Trains (zone 6)
Website: Greater Erith
Further reading: Frances Sweeny, Memories of Erith and Crayford, Bexley Education and Leisure Services Directorate, 2002